2015 ኦክቶበር 22, ሐሙስ

Lesson of Walden !

It is not for a man to
put himself in such an attitude to society, but to maintain
himself in whatever attitude he find himself through obedience



288 THE WRITINGS OF THOREAU

to the laws of his being, which will never be one of opposition
to a just government, if he should chance to meet with such.

I left the woods for as good a reason as I went there. Perhaps
it seemed to me that I had several more lives to live, and could
not spare any more time for that one. It is remarkable how
easily and insensibly we fall into a particular route, and             
make a beaten track for ourselves. I had not lived there a
week before my feet wore a path from my door to the pond-
side; and though it is five or six years since I trod it, it is
still quite distinct. It is true, I fear, that others may have
fallen into it, and so helped to keep it open. The surface of
the earth is soft and impressible by the feet of men ; and so
with the paths which the mind travels. How worn and dusty,
then, must be the highways of the world, how deep the ruts
of tradition and conformity! I did not wish to take a cabin
passage, but rather to go before the mast and on the deck of
the world, for there I could best see the moonlight amid the
mountains. I do not wish to go below now.

I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one
advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and en-
deavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet
with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some
things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; new, universal,
and more liberal laws will begin to establish themselves
around and within him; or the old laws be expanded, and
interpreted in his favor in a more liberal sense, and he will
live with the license of a higher order of beings. In proportion
as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear
less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty
poverty, nor weakness weakness. If you have built castles in
the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should
be. Now put the foundations under them.

It is a ridiculous demand which England and America
make, that you shall speak so that they can understand you.
Neither men nor toadstools grow so. As if that were important,
and there were not enough to understand you without them.



WALDEN 289

As if Nature could support but one order of understandings,
could not sustain birds as well as quadrupeds, flying as well
as creeping things, and hush and whoa, which Bright can
understand, were the best English. As if there were safety in
stupidity alone. I fear chiefly lest my expression may not be
extra-vagant enough, may not wander far enough beyond the
narrow limits of my daily experience, so as to be adequate to
the truth of which I have been convinced. Extra vagance/ it
depends on how you are yarded. The migrating buffalo^ which
seeks new pastures in another latitude, is not extravagant like
the cow which kicks over the pail, leaps the cowyard fence,
and runs after her calf, in milking time. I desire to speak
somewhere without bounds; like a man in a waking moment,
to men in their waking moments; for I am convinced that 1
cannot exaggerate enough even to lay the foundation of a

true expression ¡



ምንም አስተያየቶች የሉም:

አስተያየት ይለጥፉ